Mother Tongue Counselling
Who does Mother Tongue Counselling help?
Mother Tongue Counselling is for people over 18 who experience mental health problems whilst under the care of their GP, and their carers.
It can support you to access effective and culturally capable one-to-one counselling in Arabic and Farsi.
What help does Mother Tongue Counselling offer?
Mother Tongue offers one-to-one counselling, wellbeing groups and workshops around mental and emotional health, tailored to suit the needs of the group.
The Mother Tongue Counselling Service is personalised to suit the linguistic and cultural needs of Arabic and Farsi (Persian) communities in Kensington and Chelsea, Queen’s Park and Paddington, with a view to provide an equitable talking therapy experience and outcome to enhance their wellbeing. As a part of this service, you will also be able to participate and engage in interactive workshops around mental health awareness, guided self-help, myth-busting and wellbeing.
- One-to-one IAPT compliant counselling– Free and short-term (6-12 sessions) talking therapy support in Farsi (Persian) and Arabic languages, for management of mild to moderate symptoms of common mental health problems such as anxiety or depression
- Wellbeing programmes in the form of one-off self-help workshops or weekly psycho-educational groups (with interpretation in Arabic and Farsi) on topics related to mental health awareness and emotional wellbeing. They can be arranged with any existing groups or community members
- Translated literature on common mental health issues, frequently used terms, self-help techniques and information on signposting and referral to other local services in the community, in order to raise awareness, bust the stigma, bridge the communication gap and most importantly sustain recovery as part of integrated care
- The team– The counsellors and facilitators are trained, accredited, and are sensitive to individual and cultural needs, and the assessments, counselling sessions and group work are culturally adaptable
- Accessibility– The one-to-one service is offered at a variety of integrated-care venues in the community, including St Charles Centre for Health and Wellbeing in North Kensington. The groups and workshops can be organised at any community location where people already assemble for other activities, depending on the convenience of the participants.
How to access Mother Tongue Counselling
You can refer yourself by contacting Community Living Well or completing the form on this website. Alternatively you can ask your GP or other professional involved in your care to refer you to Community Living Well Mother Tongue Counselling.
How to contact Mother Tongue Counselling
Tel: 020 3317 4200
You could also write to Community Living Well at:
- St Charles Centre for Health and Wellbeing
Exmoor Street, London, W10 6DZ
- Violet Melchett Centre
30 Flood Street, London, SW3 5RR
- 15 Gertrude Street
London, SW10 0JN
How we can help
Help to access talking therapies or counselling sessions
Mother Tongue Counselling
Help to access counselling sessions in Arabic and Farsi languages
Primary Care Liaison Team
Help to access support from specialist mental health nurses
Help to find and access the right support and services
Help from others who use their experience to help one another
Help to look for or stay in work
Resources to help you on your recovery journey
An approach to health and wellbeing which helps you to keep yourself well