Primary Care Liaison
Who does Community Living Well Primary Care Liaison help?
Community Living Well Primary Care Liaison is for people over 18 who experience mental health problems whilst under the care of their GP, and who may benefit from extra structured support from a mental health professional.
It is a nurse-led service supported by Consultant Psychiatrists who can both offer support to you or to GPs where this is required.
What support does Community Living Well Primary Care Liaison offer?
Community Living Well Primary Care Liaison offers short term support, usually up to six sessions. They can work with you, your GP and other professionals in a number of ways including:
- Providing assessment and support to you and your GP for such things as specialist advice on treatment options, including medication advice and support
- Help to manage your mental health and wellbeing
- Help you to find solutions to life’s challenges
- Link you to Psychological Therapies, Navigators, Employment and Peer Support where this is helpful.
Primary Care Liaison Workers can help you to:
- Manage your mental health
- Explore your treatment options and support your decisions about treatment
- Create a plan, led by you, detailing how your needs can be met, who will support you and how
- Work with you on techniques you can use to stay well; such as the management of low mood
- Coordinate care and offer support to help you achieve your goals
- Advise and support you in self-care and living skills.
How to access Primary Care Liaison
You will need your GP to refer you to this part of Community Living Well if they think you might benefit from extra help or advice. It will be your decision whether you want to accept that support.
We also accept referrals from secondary care mental health services for people who are transferring to primary care, where it is felt you could benefit from extra support to manage this transition. This should be with your agreement and ideally involving a joint meeting with both teams. The duration, reasons and the type of support you are getting should be clearly agreed with you and your GP, as part of the transfer plan.
You can talk to your GP about Primary Care Liaison and decide whether it is right for you.
How to contact Primary Care Liaison
Primary Care Liaison is delivered by Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust. To be referred to Primary Care Liaison please visit your GP.
Primary Care Liaison works across the locations below and can sometimes arrange to see you at your GP practice. For our list of eligible GP practices please click here.
Tel: 020 3317 4200
You could also write to Community Living Well at:
How we can help
Talking therapy or counselling that can help you if you are feeling stressed, worried, anxious or low in mood
Primary Care Liaison Team
Specialist nurse-led support and access to Primary Care Psychiatry
Advice and guidance on a range of issues including benefits, debt, housing and signposting to specialist support services
Groups, social events and activities bringing people together to support and learn from each other
Advice and guidance on looking for work, staying in work, and improving employability skills
Resources to help you on your recovery journey
Support and activities that help you to take care of your own mental, emotional and physical wellbeing