Mother Tongue Counselling
Who does Mother Tongue Counselling help?
Mother Tongue Counselling is for people over 18 who experience mental health problems whilst under the care of their GP, and their carers.
It can support you to access effective and culturally capable one-to-one counselling in Arabic and Farsi.
What help does Mother Tongue Counselling offer?
Mother Tongue offers one-to-one counselling, wellbeing groups and workshops around mental and emotional health, tailored to suit the needs of the group.
The Mother Tongue Counselling Service is personalised to suit the linguistic and cultural needs of Arabic and Farsi (Persian) communities in Kensington and Chelsea, Queen’s Park and Paddington, with a view to provide an equitable talking therapy experience and outcome to enhance their wellbeing. As a part of this service, you will also be able to participate and engage in interactive workshops around mental health awareness, guided self-help, myth-busting and wellbeing.
- One-to-one IAPT compliant counselling– Free and short-term (6-12 sessions) talking therapy support in Farsi (Persian) and Arabic languages, for management of mild to moderate symptoms of common mental health problems such as anxiety or depression
- Wellbeing programmes in the form of one-off self-help workshops or weekly psycho-educational groups (with interpretation in Arabic and Farsi) on topics related to mental health awareness and emotional wellbeing. They can be arranged with any existing groups or community members
- Translated literature on common mental health issues, frequently used terms, self-help techniques and information on signposting and referral to other local services in the community, in order to raise awareness, bust the stigma, bridge the communication gap and most importantly sustain recovery as part of integrated care
- The team– The counsellors and facilitators are trained, accredited, and are sensitive to individual and cultural needs, and the assessments, counselling sessions and group work are culturally adaptable
- Accessibility– The one-to-one service is offered at a variety of integrated-care venues in the community, including St Charles Centre for Health and Wellbeing in North Kensington. The groups and workshops can be organised at any community location where people already assemble for other activities, depending on the convenience of the participants.
How to access our Mental Health Counselling
You can refer yourself by contacting Community Living Well or completing the form on this website. Alternatively you can ask your GP or other professional involved in your care to refer you to Community Living Well Mother Tongue Counselling. For our list of eligible GP practices please click here.
How to contact Mother Tongue Counselling
Tel: 020 3317 4200
You could also write to Community Living Well at:
How we can help
Talking therapy or counselling that can help you if you are feeling stressed, worried, anxious or low in mood
Mother Tongue Counselling
One-to-one counselling in Arabic and Farsi
Primary Care Liaison Team
Specialist nurse-led support and access to Primary Care Psychiatry
Advice and guidance on a range of issues including benefits, debt, housing and signposting to specialist support services
Groups, social events and activities bringing people together to support and learn from each other
Advice and guidance on looking for work, staying in work, and improving employability skills
Resources to help you on your recovery journey
Support and activities that help you to take care of your own mental, emotional and physical wellbeing